Random Article

Don't Miss

Green Day – American Idiot the musical

Home Forums Music Rock/Alternative Green Day – American Idiot the musical

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of MindOfGeekness MindOfGeekness 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    MindOfGeekness
    Participant

So, Christmas 2011, I asked for tickets to see American Idiot the musical. I’m a massive Green Day fan and couldn’t wait to see the show. I waited implatiently for a year…and on November 23rd 2012, I travelled up to the Palace Theatre in Manchester hoping to be blow away. And I was not disappointed!

From the first riff of ‘American idiot’ I was in Green Day heaven. The cast were spectacular; Alex Nee (@alexnee42) in particular was astonishingly good. If I’d closed my eyes I could’ve believed it was Billie-Joe Armstrong singing; the lilt of his voice was beautiful! Of course I didn’t close my eyes because that would have meant missing precious seconds of the show. Together with Alyssa DiPalma (@AlyssaDiPlama) as Whatsername, he drew the audiance into his seedy existance with great natural talent. I do have one negative to say and that is that Trent Saunders, as St Jimmy, was a great performer but for me he just never felt right. He wasn’t quite maniacal enough to be St Jimmy. (It is just my opinion though, my bff loved him!)

Billie-Joe and his team have created an epic musical that is right up there with Phantom (of the Opera) for me. The staging and direction was simplistic yet genius, capturing the feeling of a dark troubled youth in a dark troubled world brilliantly.

A lot of Green Day songs hold special meaning to me and through several of the numbers (‘Are we the waiting’ and ’21 guns’ to name a couple) I was crying covertly into my sleeve. By the time the encore came around and the entire company came out with guitars and sang ‘Good riddance (Time of your life)’, I was full out sobbing – with joy might I add. I knew I’d seen something amazing. Theatre is meant to elicit emotions and reactions and American Idiot did that in bucketloads. I was surrounded by Green Day fans in band t-shirts and personalized Converse, green hair and spikes; it was fantastic! You don’t have to be a stuffy theatre ‘dahhling’ to enjoy a good show, and this production proves it.

I really wanted to see it again, but (quite rightly) it had sold out eveywhere! I was lucky that Santa mommy got me those tickets the previous year, I would’ve been gutted if I’d missed it. The only thing wrong with it was that Billie-Joe didn’t reprise his role of St Jimmy for the world tour… :(  But thankfully You Tube exists!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.